Monday, August 15, 2011

Bangalore…The Wonder Land !

What we are is because of the path we walked on. The emotional I within us is not built by ourselves; he/she is built by the people walked with us along the path, world around the path, experiences along the path. Our emotional characteristics come out from the mould of these experiences, and are immortal. Certainly we show least respect to the world along our walkway, even though we are reflections of it. As a normal human tendency we rarely appreciate the present. As an old phrase says “You will understand the importance of it, when you don’t have it”.

I am missing my Bangaluru a lot! I wrote the above lines as a proem to memories of Bangalore. Sitting at the end of a week-end I am recollecting the city which flows inside my heart, and was left unnoticed! What I am today, this city has got significant contribution to it. This city is embedded inside all of us with its rich heritage of culture, diversity, tolerance … An attempt to retrospect the best days of my life spent in this city.


Almost eight years back I was thrown on the streets of Bangalore by Sugama tourist on a beautiful chilly morning of early winter. The next day morning I was walking with one of my friend on the Sampige Road, ‘Green Street’ of Malleshwaram. The mild breeze ruffling the leaves of the trees has created the impression, city itself is air conditioned. Boy came from a small town was amazed by the speed and color of the city. I still remember the pizza I ate that day, before that I did not even know what pizza is. I think that was the starting point of understanding the city. 

My journey of becoming Bangalorean started in Ramaiah College. I was forced to come out of the bookish world and face the reality. I started understanding the city with my own scale of good and bad. Finding the best set of friends having the same frequency is a boon, which I am always blessed with. I wouldn’t have survived in this city with the same mindset and knowledge I stepped in. My friends prepared me for the rest of my life in this city. How genuine was the thrill of zipping the bike through the traffic of the city…? How fake were the colors of MG Road - Brigade road…? With the very limited money in our pockets we enjoyed the college life to the most. Those crazy rides to Nandi hills in rainy midnights… Late night walks in the BEL road… ice cream melting in shivering winter nights… Sagar Bakery Bun Samosa, Chees Maggi with Ginger Chai… Hostel life… Horrible study holidays and night outs… College fest … With all these my grades definitely declined, but I was learning lessons for my future. When I came out of the college and started working, city unfolded different flavor of it. City taught me the value of money… City taught me thinking using brain not always using heart… City taught me the importance of communication…

How can I forget morning walks in Lalbagh… Evening walks in KR Park … Fragrance of Gandhi bazar ... Crowd of DVG road … Ankita and Sapna ? Oh they are book stalls! … Jogging in calm streets of RR Nagar… What you miss most when you come out of Bangalore is 'The Taste of Bangalore'. Idli-Vada dipped in sambar… Dwaraka - Khali Dosa … South Thindis- Masala Dosa… Sree Krishna Bhavan - Batani Idli … Kamath - Jolda Rotti Unlimited Meals … Kanti Sweets - Mysorepak … Conner House – ice creams… Gappa Pani Puri … Enough … I can continue for pages :)

Crowded majestic is a different world compared to peaceful RR Nagar. Shopping malls and multiplexes shine with all their color… temples next to them are crowded too, they still have time for God ??? !!! KR Market is a wonder, coconuts and computers are sold in the same manner! Driving is a type of adventure sport … Unpredictable blessings of rain… Streets ruled by Fried Rice and Gobi Manchurian odor. Bangalore is a true Wonder Land.


I love Bangalore with all its limitations. Here in London I am standing beside a road, waiting for the right time to cross the road. I would have comfortably crossed the road in Bangalore with more number of vehicles on it. Bangalore runs by trust, whereas London runs by rule. I like ‘Trust’ than the ‘Rule’.

Bangalorean by soul !
Kiran

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kiran,
    Nice read.
    This article took me to my memories of Bangalore..
    What an entry I had to this Banglore.. It was thunderous!!!
    I had just put my legs into Bangalore searching my future here.. Bangalore shivered like anything. Sorry, not because of me, but the infamous 'Bangalore Serial Blasts' which permanently wrote that day in my mind - 25th July 2008:)
    Since then, my voyage is continuing in Bangalore. It is same Bangalore, but everyday it is new, exposing its different faces, teaching different lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last lines are very true and touchy... :) Good.. Keep writting..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maga nice to read this...... :)
    Enjoy.. have a good time!

    ReplyDelete